Architect/Project Manager – 5 to 10 years of experience – New York, NY, US | Works
Heitler Houstoun Architectsa growing, award-winning Manhattan-based architecture and interior design firm with a diverse portfolio of residential, commercial and workplace interior projects, seeks Project Managers/Project Architects with 5 10 years of professional experience in architecture (5 to year B. Arch or M. Arch).
The position will involve leading a team of 1-4 people for residential, work and/or retail projects through all phases (pre-design, design, drafting, approval, construction administration and closeout). We are looking for someone who can work on several types of projects.
The ideal candidate would demonstrate experience in the following areas:
- Pre-design – Assist the client in the evaluation and selection of potential spaces. Ability to review letter of work, change agreements and/or lease terms and understand the impact on space planning, budgets, design, vendor and subcontractor design work contractors.
- Design Phases – Oversee the development and/or implementation of the design. Review layout for code compliance, coordinate with sub-consultants and vendors, oversee production of internal drawings.
- Approval Phases – Prepare drawings for review/approval by building owner and/or building management as well as local building department plan approval/permits.
- Construction Phase – Administer the construction contract and support the general contractor during construction.
- General – Manage customer relationships for single location stores, franchise type stores throughout.
Applicant must be local to the New York area (surrounding areas of CT, NJ, and NY including Westchester County) or able to travel within a relatively short period of time. (no international or Visa based applications please)
Candidates would demonstrate experience in one of the following types of projects:
- RETAIL – Tenant-based design, drafting and construction administration work (health, wellness, apparel and/or beauty for local and national brands) and/or owner-based work (reconfiguration/redevelopment , storefronts, code compliance, tenant readiness, for local NYC landlords)
- WORKPLACE – Tenant-based design, drafting and construction administration work (workplace design to support well-being, collaboration, productivity and branding) and work based on the owner/broker (pre-constructions for the possibility of leasing, refurbishment)
- RESIDENTIAL – Interior Renovations based in New York (design, drafting and administration of multifamily, apartment and multifamily construction) and suburban (new construction, additions and interior renovations of single family homes in the Westchester NY area as well as the national scale).
Candidates must demonstrate the following personal skills:
- Ability to manage internal and external deadlines through personal time management and effective team delegation.
- Experience overseeing and managing the workflow of a small project team.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with a dynamic team in a dynamic and rigorous environment.
- Self-motivated, well-organized and able to execute projects with little supervision
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a highly creative and disciplined environment through strong communication, organizational and collaborative skills.
- Define and solve complex problems, complete tasks accurately with great attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Applicants must demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Experience organizing and assembling construction documents with proven technical detailing skills.
- Experience navigating 3rd party approvals (building management, local zoning, local building department, planning boards, zoning appeal boards (deviations)).
- Experience in identifying required consultants and soliciting proposals on behalf of clients.
- Knowledge of the structure of national, state, local and federal accessibility codes.
- Knowledge of the structure of national, state and local energy conservation codes.
- Knowledge of the structure and how to navigate local zoning text, building codes and the DOB permit application process.
Candidates must demonstrate knowledge in the following technical skills:
- Hand drawing and sketching abilities to quickly express creative ideas or technical details
- A high level of AutoCAD experience, speed and knowledge of the software.
- Google Sketch-up, Rhino, V-Ray, (Revit experience a plus).
- Knowledge of presentation and communication software tools: PowerPoint, In-Design, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Outlook.
- Knowledge of organizational software tools: Microsoft Project, Excel.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and at least five (5) work samples (5MB maximum) of the applicant’s professional technical and design experience in one bound PDF (no multiple files or links to websites, please), with a strong emphasis on organizing and preparing construction documents. Remuneration is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of a 5-10 year position.
Heitler Houstoun Architects Offers:
- Opportunities to work on a diverse set of projects and clients.
- Opportunities to service all phases of design, drafting and construction administration.
- Opportunities for internal/external continuing education.
- Community, social, educational and team building events.
- Industry-leading benefits package.
- Hybrid work opportunities.
- Summer hours.
Please email [email protected] with ONLY the words “Project Architect/Manager” in the subject line.