Architect / Project Manager – 6-12 years of experience – New York, NY, US | Works
Heitler Houstoun Architects, a growing and award-winning Manhattan-based architecture and interior design firm with a diverse portfolio of residential, commercial and workplace interior projects, is looking for Project Managers / Project Architects with 6 to 12 years of professional experience in architecture (5- year B. Arch or M. Arch).
The role will consist of leading a team of 1 to 4 people for residential, workplace and / or retail projects in all phases (pre-design, design, drafting, approval, construction administration and closing). We are looking for someone capable of working on several types of projects.
The ideal candidate would demonstrate experience in the following areas:
- Pre-design – Assist the client in the evaluation and selection of potential spaces. Ability to review work letter and lease terms and understand the impact on space planning, budgets, design, design work from vendors and sub-consultants.
- Design Phases – Oversee the development and / or implementation of the design. Review layout for code compliance, coordinate with sub-consultants and suppliers, oversee production of internal drawings.
- Approval Phases – Prepare drawings for building owner and / or management review / approval as well as local building department plan approval / permits.
- Construction phase – Administer the construction contract and support the general contractor during construction.
- General – Manage relationships with customers of single location stores, franchise type stores overall.
The candidate must be local in the New York area or able to travel within a relatively short period of time. (no international or visa applications please)
Applicants would demonstrate experience in one of the following types of projects:
- Retail – Clothing, Beauty and / or Fitness for Local or National Brands – Urban / Storefront, Interior Mall Fitouts
- Retail – Conceptual and / or prototype design basis for implementation in multiple locations
- Workplace – Full storey or multi-tenant type buildings – Modern office equipment, common areas for employees, flexible offices, furniture.
Applicants must demonstrate the following personal skills:
- Ability to manage internal and external deadlines through personal time management and efficient team delegation.
- Experience in supervising and managing the workflow of a small project team.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with a dynamic team in a dynamic and rigorous environment.
- Self-motivated, well organized and able to execute projects with little supervision
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a highly creative and disciplined environment through strong communication, organizational and collaborative skills.
- Define and solve complex problems, perform tasks with precision with great attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
Applicants must demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Experience in organizing and assembling construction documents with proven technical detail skills.
- Experience navigating third party approvals (building management, local zoning, local building department).
- Knowledge of national, state, local and federal accessibility codes.
- Knowledge of national, state and local energy conservation codes.
- Knowledge of New York City zoning text, building codes and the DOB permit application process.
Applicants must demonstrate knowledge in the following technical skills:
- Hand drawing and sketching abilities to quickly express creative ideas or technical details
- A high level of experience, speed and knowledge of AutoCAD software.
- Google Sketch-up, V-Ray, (Revit experience an asset).
- Knowledge of presentation and communication software tools: PowerPoint, In-Design, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Outlook.
- Knowledge of organizational software tools: Microsoft Project, Excel.
Qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and at least five (5) work samples (5MB maximum) of the applicant’s technical and design work experience in a bound PDF (no multiple files or links to websites, please), with a strong emphasis on organizing and preparing construction documents.
HHA offers a world-class benefit package for full-time employees. Compensation based on experience and will be in the range of a 6 to 12 year position.
Please send an email to [email protected] with ONLY the words “architect / project manager” in the subject line.